Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Leila- Princess extraordinaire

Leila is such a princess. She loves mirrors. Until Sunday, when we went to Ikea and bought her a full length (for her) mirror, she has had to use the glossy reflection of the black refrigerator. (Not my choice, came with the house.) This morning she dropped her little plastic mirror into the toilet, and even though I tried to get her to think it was funny, she cried. I fished it out and sanitized it and she was happy again. When I do my makeup, she asks for her own makeup. I was very clear with her that she is not to go into my makeup by herself, and when I got home from work that day, the first thing she told me was that she DIDN'T get into my makeup. She calls my lip balm makeup and loves to have that put on her, and her cousins put eyeshadow and lipstick on her occasionally. Her hair, as mentioned in previous posts, has to be just so. Yesterday she started asking for "a long ponypony" which means a pony tail at the nape of her neck instead of on the top of her head. This way her hair feels long to her, I guess.
This morning she told me, "Your friends are going to say your shirt is not pretty." Then later she retracted it. But then she was worried that the shirt was too long since it goes over my pants. My shoes did get a compliment. For Leila, most of her clothes are set outfits. If she has worn a certain t-shirt with a certain skirt in the past, then those two go together forever. So she asks me about my combination choices and I'm trying to explain that I mix and match my clothes.
This morning I was feeding Ali some apple sauce in the living room and I asked Leila to get him a spoon to hold. After a little while, I hear water running. When I asked her what was going on she told me she needed a drink of water. I figured she was rinsing a glass out, but when she repeated it in a more urgent voice, I went into the kitchen. Her mouth and chin were black with something grainy. She had taken a huge bite out of the cake of used coffee from the espresso machine, that I had left on the counter, thinking that it was a cookie. I started laughing, and so did she. What a goof ball. That really taught her to be careful of sneaking bites.
As I finally started pulling lunch together to get to work, she decided she needed to get a lunch to go to work, and started gathering yogurt and crackers and asking her dad to take her to work. Sometimes she tells me I don't have to go to work. I wish she was the boss of me.
Ali had his one year checkup yesterday (just a month late) and he's fine, of course. He is in the 90% of height, but the 50% of weight. Leila was much bigger than him at this age. Leila told the doctor that she was feeling sick, so he gave her a once over. She likes going to the doctor and the dentist. Since I had a dentist in Tunis and in Dallas, she wanted one, too.

No comments: