Monday, March 05, 2012

Making the grade

Sami went in for his 4 month check up today. The doctor was happy with his weight- 15lbs, 3 oz., which is now in the 40 percentile, rather than in the 12th. He's catching up with his height percentile, but apparently he has a big, funky head, because that is in the 95th percentile!
She was worried about his gross and fine motor skills, however, when she read over the sheet that I had filled out in the waiting room. It asked such things as- does he put both hands on the bottle when he eats and put his free hand on the breast when he breastfeeds? The choices are yes, sometimes, or not yet. I chose sometimes for that one, because he doesn't do it every single time. I keep forgetting to do tummy time, so I couldn't be really clear about how long he lifts up his head and the like. Another question was- does he scratch his clothes? I don't know about that, but he certainly scratches me up and down my forearms. The Dr. then performed some tests of her own, at which Sami performed admirably, and she decided I was just a tough grader. (My students could have told her that.) Apparently, sometimes means almost never on their scale, so she adjusted this and didn't seem worried about him by the end of the exam.
I asked if he should keep gaining a lb or 1/2 a lb a week, and she thought that might be a little much as he'd then be over 20 lbs at his 6 month checkup, and 17 lbs is more the average. It's possible, though!
We decided not to have him get all his vaccinations at once this time because I'm worried about him being able to process all that stuff, especially after speaking with the mother of an autistic boy who is sure her son's disease is a result of the vaccines. (She described it as a disease that you get). The Dr. assured me that there is no proven connection, but discretion being the better part of valor, I'd rather take him back next week for the rest of his vaccinations. The other plus? After his one shot, Sami didn't cry at all until I made him sit in his car seat.

No comments: