Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Details at Ten

News Teaser, channel 11 (CBS) "Who is carrying a gun at your church? What local churches are doing to keep you safe."
Police department is doing training so "places of worship can protect their worshipers." A police officer just said: "'Whosoever will, let them come.'* And sometimes whosoever gets us in trouble."

Apparently, church security is now packing heat- one of my friends told me a few weeks ago that the big church she attends with her family has armed security guards at Sunday service.
Something is seriously wrong here. I've heard about the terrible tragedies when a gun man decides to shoot up a church. Yes, it's awful. But is the proper response shooting back? Or is there another option, more in line with the scripture the church is supposed to be based on? I don't think that there are only two options: Shoot or let yourself be shot. Martin Luther King, Jr. called for non-violent resistance- not passive acceptance. So how would that look in a church? It might mean churches need to get smaller and more local. Or it might mean something else entirely. Violent armed response is the way of the world, not the way of the church.
"The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1, NIV
*Not sure what the officer means to quote here. The closest verse seems to be when Jesus invited his followers to take up the cross and follow him. (Mark 8:34)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow. that is crazy!