Thursday, June 11, 2009

The great storm of 2009

well, I hope last nights is deserving of the title as I don't want to do that again for a while.
When the toronado sirens went off, I gathered the kids into the hallway and kept the tv on in our bedroom to find out what was going on. The danger appeared to be to the north of us, and when the sirens quit, the kids returned to playing in their room or the office. Then the lights went out. We gathered light- Leila's disney flashlight that illuminates around the edges and some votives that I managed to light with our faulty lighter. The sirens went off again, and we all huddled in the hallway. Ali told us a long story, and then Leila told a scary ghost story. After a while it seemed safe to leave the hallway, so we moved out to the living room. By candlelight, Leila read her book aloud to Ali and I. Then the children made masks and pretended they were cats. After a while Leila was ready to sleep and went down to her bed. Ali was extra clingy though, and very serious. I could tell the lack of power was bothering him, so I told him about living without power and running water, and having to cook with wood. "Yuck" he said. "We didn't eat the wood," I explained to him. Finally we lay down together and he managed to sleep. The lights came back about 11:30, t.v. powering up at full volumn, but I caught it before it woke the kids. When I woke up at 6 am the power was still on, but when I woke up again at 7ish it was off. Luckily it came back on pretty quickly so I could have my espresso. In the end it wasn't nearly as bad as the last great storm.

3 comments:

Maude Lynn said...

My daughter loves the whole tornado precaution routine. But, she freaks out a little if we lose power!

morningstar said...

We had the exact same conversation (during hour 28 of no power), and Josephine was also fascinated with the idea of cooking with wood. Funnily enough, our bedtime book this week is Little House in the Big Woods.

Lomagirl said...

28 hours! Yikes. Luckily this time we didn't have to wait that long.