Saturday, January 05, 2008

Force of habit

I like to set up the espresso machine before I go to bed at night so that I just have to punch the button in the morning. I haven't done that in a while, however, so I went ahead and punched the button just now. Ahh, the sweet smell of coffee to fall asleep to. I ain't drinkin' any o' that. I have got to get back on a normal sleep schedule.
(Even the kids stayed in bed until 10:30 yesterday!)
I watched Shop Girl tonight. It's a little slow, but it's sweet, and once Steve Martin appears things really pick up. Claire Danes is a favorite as well. I was struck by Martin's voice over in the end, describing the older man he plays- Ray realizes that by only wanting one part of her, he ends up hurting both of them. Another vote for wholeness.

1 comment:

concretegodmother said...

I, too, am having sleep cycle issues, what with Christmas break and all. I've regularly stayed up till midnight, one, or two a.m. Damn-ed be alarm clocks! I wish I could just live my natural circadian rhythms. Oh well.

I really liked Shopgirl. I thought the acting was fabulous on all parts.

If you haven't seen Away from Her, do! It's exquisite. It's sad, and painful, but beautiful.