Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Another old bit of info-June 6 this time

Leila’s not supposed to say the word “poop,” especially directed at people. So she’s learned to work it into the conversation. She’ll talk about “pooping on the potty” which is okay, but she goes on and on. I tell her I don’t want to hear about it. I usually ask her if she needs to poop at this time. I don’t want her to think pooping is bad, but I’ve had enough of it. One day we were out for a walk and she wanted to play in a pile of gravel. But I saw cat poop in it, and told her so. Now, whenever we drive by a construction site with piles of gravel and sand (which is often in Tunisia) she has to tell us “There’s poop.” I think half of it is the act of recognition and the other half is the thrill of being able to work “poop” into the conversation again.
Leila likes to remember things in conversation. Two nights ago Essia and I were complaining about Mohammed and H’s smoking in front of them. They were not commenting at all, so I told Leila they were ignoring us. Today she repeated that the men smoked and were “noring us” because we were girls. I tried to tell her it wasn’t because we were girls that they were ignoring us. She of course doesn’t know what ignoring means, and she thinks being girls is a good thing, which it is. However, I don’t want her to get the idea that it’s okay for men to ignore women.
The other thing she goes on about is there being two bathrooms and two kitchens at this house, but one bathroom and one kitchen are outside. “That’s silly.” At Grandma and Grandpa’s a few weeks ago, she was very impressed with their being no sink in the bathroom that was in the middle of being remodeled. She pointed it out to us everyday. Here she points out the sticker on the back of the kitchen door every time she sees it. My funny observant girl. Ekram needs a pillow to drive, and Leila has noticed this and is solicitous of her need when they get in the car.

No comments: