Friday, March 11, 2005

Sleeping alone

Last night Leila slept in her own bed for the first time. At bedtime, after I changed her diaper, I asked her where if she wanted to go night-night in her room. She did, so we sat down with her milk and some books and read her stories in the double bed in "her" room. (It's only been her room so far because her dresser and clothes and stuff are in it. She's always slept in our bed.) As usual, she wanted more stories, but I said that was all. Then she thrashed around for a bit, trying to find the best place on my body to use as a pillow. Finally, she lay on the bed and fell asleep. Bear wasn't even next to her. It didn't take too long to get to sleep, either. I put pillows in the crack between the bed and wall and moved the side rail from our bed to hers and I had my bed to myself! Wow! I got to read in bed! She woke up about 3, and I went in and lay down with her. I didn't want her to be scared or upset, but she didn't seem to be. She did whimper a little bit, but then she fell back asleep. I would have stayed with her, but I had to get up because I was hungry! I finally fell back asleep in my own bed (why do I have trouble sleeping when I'm pregnant? It's like my brain works overtime at night.) She woke up at her getting to be usual time of just before 7. At least, that's when I heard her. I went in and lay down with her for a few minutes, and since there was no t.v., passed her some books. She liked that. I can't believe this was so easy! It might get harder.
Last week I quit nursing her at night. I'd been so annoyed by her nursing and really resented it. On Tuesday, I went to the grocery store for the weekly shop and let H. put her to sleep. He said she asked for me, but she didn't have a problem. I thought he should put her to sleep so she didn't think she would get nursed. The next night he lay down with her and she cried and screamed. I felt so bad, especially because I hadn't really thought it all out before hand- I'd just taken advantage of being gone the night before. I was in the living room and she kept coming out crying and I would take her back to H. Then it started to be a game with her. Finally H suggested that I sit on the end of the bed. She still wanted to get out of bed, but we didn't let her, and after a lot of moving around, she fell asleep. The next night wasn't as bad, but it was still difficult, and we both at in the room with her for a long time. I actually started out with her, and then H came in. I was trying to establish the get your pj's on, drink some milk and read some stories routine and didn't want to wait for H, who wasn't ready to come in when the routine finished.
After that second night of the two of us being with her, I started putting her to bed myself. She didn't try to nurse much- maybe once or twice- but she understood it was over. Now she goes to sleep pretty quickly with me, if she's tired. She doesn't cry when it's bedtime, but knows it's time to go to sleep. One night I thought she was asleep and started to get up and she was still awake, so I cuddled her, but she pushed me away. I probably could have left her by herself, but I didn't want to risk her getting out of bed. I think that will be the next step. Yesterday H left her alone to fall asleep for her nap, and she did. She fell asleep close to the edge, though, like she was about to get off the bed.
She's generally a good kid. However, the other morning I got out of the shower to find that she had pushed a chair over to the kitchen sink and gotten water all over the counter, the floor, and in the silverware drawer. She's not supposed to do that by herself. Sometimes when we're in the kitchen we'll let her play in the sink, but I don't want her doing it by herself.
Leila talks about the baby and points to my stomach. It sounded like she said "baby hiding" but I'm not sure. She might be getting the idea. She loves a book her Aunt Kathy sent her about a big sister. She calls it "shista".
Her vocabulary continues to improve- she's started saying "I'm sorry" in the cutest tone of voice, but she doesn't really know when to say it. She uses it if someone is hurt but not just if she did it. The other day she said it to Ben, the neighbor boy, and his mom said he should be the one saying it.
She still gets mad when she doesn't get what she wants, but she generally takes "no" pretty well. I'm not just letting her have any food she wants- she would eat yogurt all day. So yesterday she really wanted yogurt, which she calls mum-mum (which used to mean eat). When I said no, she fussed, but then accepted something else to eat.
This pregnancy is going pretty well, except I had the most awful leg cramp the other morning. H. complained that I didn't let him sleep. Now the muscle in my calf is really sore. I finally got the Calcium Magnesium that the midwife recommended so maybe that will help. I've also had a couple of migraines so I hope it helps that as well. I have one today- the pain isn't bad, but I feel sooo tired and my stomach bothers me, and in the beginning my eyes go wacky.
The damn thesis progresses. I don't know if I'll get everything done in time. I have to polish it this week (Spring Break) and then submit it to my committee. That gives us about three weeks to read it and defend it before it's due in the graduate office. It stresses me out to think about it.

No comments: