Tuesday, August 21, 2012

"Insecurity is your biggest hurdle."

Anyone who knows me knows that this isn't true. Except it is a little true when it comes to feeling prepared for my PhD exams. After a nice talk I had today, though, I'm feeling more secure about them.
Today was my first day back at work after a long, hot summer which ended with a road trip to California and back again. We pulled into town just in time for the kids to go to Tae Kwon Do class yesterday after a rather eventful trip.
I dragged my sorry butt out of bed this morning for convocation. It was lonely with my best friend on sabbatical in Mozambique, but I had a good time chatting to people, and ended up in a long discussion with a friend who is also a PhD student in my program, but a few semesters behind me.
Then I lunched with a friend who is ahead of me in the program, and she's the one who really encouraged me to go ahead and take me exams, trusting that I am more prepared than I think I am. I know she's right, as I'll never really feel ready, and the best thing is just to get done with them.
After a division meeting and a bit more catching up, I returned to a messy house- no showings this week, I hope, as I don't have the energy to unpack yet!

No comments: