Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sated

I took no pictures, but it was a feast. Two turkeys roasted all day. Pumpkin pies and cranberry sauce made with orange zest and a bit of juice waited around, having been made the night before. I invented a recipe using the 8 sweet potatoes I roasted and left to cool in the oven overnight. I combined them in the mixer, with the dregs of the whipped cream just mixed, 4 eggs, some orange juice, a bit of milk and a splash of cream, plus a dash of nutmeg. I didn't even forget the salt. I whipped them in the mixer for several minutes, till all the lumps were gone, then put them into a 370 degree oven for about half an hour. They were quite a hit with my skeptical guests and even H, who doesn't really like sweet potatoes. I couldn't win the kids over, though.
We also had mashed potatoes, corn, stuffing, and green beans.
One Morrocan guest brought meat pastries because I loved them when she served them at her house, and little pecan tartlets. Our Tunisian friends brought pudding and red tea. (Tunisians boil red tea for a long time, and add a lot of sugar. It's surprisingly good, even without the geranium leaf we add when we're there.) We ate and ate. Then some more Moroccan friends showed up with a cake.
We had coffee with our pumpkin pie, and then green mint tea and red tea. Fruit was there for those who were still hungry, and whole nuts to crack.
The oud was brought out, and the Darbuka- (drum) and the house rang with music. No one over the age of ten was eligible to be president in the U.S., unlike two years before when one guy- from Libya- had actually been born here.  The kids played hide and seek and other fun things- and got along super well.
Now we're all snug in our beds, the temperature continuing to drop outside after yesterday being park weather. I'm thankful for it all- as one friend put it today- it's not about the food, it's about being with friends. So, I hope you have much to be thankful for this year, too. Blessings.

No comments: