Thursday, August 27, 2009

In her head

Leila is explaining something complicated to me and I don't understand it. "If you just had the picture I have in my head you would know what I'm talking about."

She's so excited to be in first grade, and I love that I get to take her in the mornings on my way to work now. On the second day she told me her tummy was excited. I said something about it being good to be excited about going to school. "I'm not excited," she told me. "Just my tummy is."

This morning she thought I might be driving too fast. I assured her I wasn't. So she talked about speed for a while. Then she said, "That's a coincidence." "What?" "That truck." It was a road runner internet truck with a picture of a road runner. "Why do we always see that when we're talking about fast?"
When Leila said coincidence it sounded odd, like she was trying it out. But I don't think she really mispronounced it. It started sounding odd to me when I said it, too. (Now, say the word coincidence out loud. When you really think about it, it sounds kind of funny.)

1 comment:

Loma Kath said...

Smart girl, Leila! And I'm glad to hear she's that excited about school (or at least her tummy!).